Sangamon County Sheriff Merit Commission
Offering Testing for Sangamon County Corrections Officer
Application Deadline April 2, 2021
Springfield, IL… The Sangamon County Sheriff Merit Commission is accepting applications for Sangamon County Corrections Officer positions. Anyone who is interested can pick up an application between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Sangamon County Sheriff’s office, #1 Sheriff’s Plaza in Springfield or an application can be printed and filled out from the Sangamon County Sheriff Office website: http://sangamoncounty-sheriff.com (Click on Careers link then Sheriff’s Office Employment Application). Applications will be accepted in person no later than 4:30 p.m. April 2, 2021, (by mail must be post-marked April 2, 2021). Those candidates that meet the minimum requirements will be notified of the physical agility test being offered on April 17, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. Applicants meeting the requirements and passing the physical agility test will be notified of the location of the written exam being offered May 1, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
Lateral transfers are also accepted, please visit SCSO Lateral Transfer Corrections for more details!
Sangamon County Correction Officer Requirements
Eligibility requirements to be appointed a Sangamon County Correction Officer are listed below. To sign up for the examination complete the application and return to the Sangamon County Sheriff’s office, #1 Sheriff’s Plaza, Springfield, Illinois 62701 by 4:30 p.m. on April 2, 2021.
1. Have acquired a high school diploma or equivalent certificate.
2. Be no younger than 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
3. Must possess a valid Illinois Driver’s License.
4. Must possess a valid FOID (Firearm Owner’s Identification) card.
5. Must be a U.S. Citizen.
6. Must pass a written examination as prescribed by the Merit Commission.
7. Must pass a physical standards test.
8. Must pass a thorough background investigation.
9. Must pass drug testing.
10. Must reside within Sangamon County within 6 months of employment.